Starting today, developers can bring best-in-class immersive audio and HDR in Dolby to their latest games built within Unreal Engine
SAN FRANCISCO, June 29, 2023 – Today, Dolby Laboratories, a leader in immersive entertainment experiences, is introducing two free plug-ins to provide developers the ability to natively create games in Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos all within Unreal Engine. With the conveniently integrated plug-ins, developers can now enhance the quality of their games using Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos with just a few simple clicks. This allows them to save time and valuable resources during development – all inside Unreal Engine. The Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos plug-ins are available today through the Unreal Engine Marketplace. To learn more, visit here.
“With the native integration of Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos into Unreal Engine, it is becoming even easier for developers to delight players with astonishing visuals and immersive sound,” said Mahesh Balakrishnan, Vice President of Consumer Entertainment, Dolby Laboratories. “The new plug-ins represent a remarkable milestone in our journey to empower developers with new innovative tools, helping them deliver awe-inspiring games that will captivate players like never before.”
Dolby Vision empowers developers to unleash a more intense and engaging gaming experience by unlocking the full potential of every pixel. Players are pulled into the action through astonishing picture quality with incredible brightness, wider contrast, more vivid colors, and crisper detail. Dolby Vision can even deliver highlights up to 40 times brighter and blacks that are 10 times darker than a standard picture, along with colors never seen before on a screen.
- Grade once in Dolby Vision to derive all legacy video outputs like HDR10 and SDR, which can save time and resources by eliminating the need to create individual deliverables for each consumer endpoint or platform.
- GPU frametime costs of less than 0.2 milliseconds.
- Remove the need for calibration screens when the game is connected to a Dolby Vision display.
- Introduces the ability to use trims to dial in the look of SDR deliverables to ensure picture quality consistently looks great and is as intended by the developer across a variety of displays, even non-HDR devices.
- All Dolby Vision features can be updated via blueprints or timelines dynamically on each frame, providing more flexibility to developers.
- The Dolby Vision plug-in supports the development of games designed for Windows 10/11 and Xbox Series X|S.
Dolby Atmos is a pioneering immersive audio experience that enables developers to use audio in new ways to heighten the experience of players. With rich, multi-dimensional Dolby Atmos sound, players can now pinpoint the position and movement of teammates and enemies — allowing them to catch subtle, potentially game-changing sounds.
- Provides game developers relying on native Unreal Engine support the opportunity, for the first time ever without a custom integration, the ability to develop Dolby Atmos mixes for their games.
- Cross-platform support saves time and resources by eliminating the need for multiple audio projects for all consumer endpoints through a single Dolby Atmos mix that is dynamically optimized for all compatible platforms.
- New mixing capabilities adds a new dimension to Dolby Atmos games enjoyed over headphones on Xbox and PC. Players sneaking through rafters can now locate the position of their opponents below, potentially giving them an edge during gameplay.
- The Dolby Atmos plug-in supports the development of games designed for Android, Windows 10/11, and Xbox One or newer.