BRAND NEW ODEON LUXE CINEMA COMPLETE WITH DOLBY CINEMA OFFICIALLY OPENS IN LEEDS
- Leeds’ brand-new ODEON Luxe cinema has officially opened its doors to local cinema-goers amidst a blockbuster year of film
- The cinema is home to the UK’s second Dolby Cinema – and first outside London – featuring enhanced imaging via Dolby Vision laser projection and immersive audio via a unique Dolby Atmos system
- The luxurious cinema features 971 handmade reclining seats across 10 brand new cinema screens
- The new cinema is also home to a fully-reclining, state-of-the-art iSense screen with 4K projection and Dolby Atmos sound, created to deliver a breath-takingly immersive viewing experience
- Book tickets now at www.odeon.co.uk
Leeds film fans can now enjoy the very best in cinema technology and luxury following the grand opening of the highly-anticipated ODEON Luxe Leeds Thorpe Park cinema. From today (12th April), the new cinema has officially opened its doors for business following a glittering gala evening last night, attended by hundreds of local dignitaries, media and business owners.
ODEON and Dolby have partnered to bring film fans in and around the city the ultimate cinema experience with their brand new Dolby Cinema which combines dramatic imaging that delivers a spectacular, leading-edge visual experience through the Dolby Vision dual 4K laser projection system that brings the story alive with spectacular, ultravivid picture. It delivers twice the brightness, 500 times the contrast ratio, blacker blacks, and an unsurpassed colour palette, all in comparison to standard screens, all projected on a massive 19m screen for a vibrant, lifelike cinema experience like no other.
The studio-grade Dolby Atmos immersive audio system transports viewers into the film with breathtakingly realistic dialogue and effects, filling the cinema with a soundscape that flows all around and above the audience. With the highest standards for technical design plus 263 Luxe recliners, every person will get a truly immersive and unforgettable cinematic experience, no matter where they are in the Dolby Cinema auditorium.
Spoilt for choice, Leeds film fans also have the option of viewing the latest blockbusters in the cinema’s state-of-the-art iSense screen. Taller than a double decker bus, the screen measures 15m x 6.2m, and is curved to maximise light reflection, packing cutting-edge Dolby Atmos sound and 4K digital projector that delivers almost nine million pixels for an even clearer, ultra-high definition picture.
The superior technology is combined with the ultimate luxury throughout the cinema including 971 handmade reclining chairs across the 10 screens and top-of-the-range food and drink options including lattice fries and chicken strips along with classic favourites such as sweet and salted popcorn and a Coca Cola Freestyle machine with over 100 different flavours to enjoy.
The cinema also has an Oscar’s Bar serving a range of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, along with freshly brewed coffee from the Costa Coffee station.
Last night over 200 local community members attended a Gala evening to mark the opening. Attendees were hosted in a special reception where ODEON and Dolby representatives officially opened the cinema with a ribbon cutting and were given the choice of watching one of two films screened, Wild Rose or Shazam!
John Alls, General Manager at ODEON Luxe Leeds Thorpe Park, said, “After months of works we are thrilled to be opening our doors to film fans in Leeds. In partnership with Dolby we are excited to be at the forefront of cinema technology and luxury and are delighted to bring this unparalleled experience to the community.”
Julian Stanford, Senior Director Dolby Cinema Europe, added, “It’s exciting to see the growth of Dolby Cinema in the UK with a second ODEON offering our technology to revolutionise cinematic experiences. We’re delighted to be at the opening of ODEON Luxe Leeds, a cinema built from scratch, designed to bring local film fans a truly immersive and unrivalled cinematic experience. Filmmakers are choosing Dolby Cinema technology to create a new generation of storytelling, and starting tonight we can’t wait for film fans in Leeds to experience the true magic of Dolby Cinema.”
Locals are invited to check out the new cinema and all it has to offer, and from now until 30 May, ODEON will be offering a special ticket price of £5 per ticket, before 5pm Monday to Friday. Just in time for the school holidays!
For more information or to book tickets to ODEON Luxe Leeds Thorpe Park, visit www.odeon.co.uk
Some of the highly anticipated films to be shown in the brand-new cinema include:
- Avengers: Endgame (25 April)
- Detective Pikachu (10 May)
- Rocketman (24 May)
- Aladdin (24 May)
Key features of the new ODEON Luxe Leeds Thorpe Park cinema:
- 971 handmade fully-reclining seats across 10 screens, with expansive leg-room, premium comfort and individual retractable tables
- The second Dolby Cinema in the UK, complete with 263 luxury recliner seats, Dolby Vision dual laser projection system and moving audio with Dolby Atmos
- A 173-seat iSense screen, delivering an ultra-high-definition cinema experience, with 4K projection and Dolby Atmos sound
- Best in class in-screen lighting systems to minimise distractions and optimise viewing angles with better light uniformity on all screens
- Enticing food & drink offering, including lattice fries, chicken strips, sweet and salted popcorn, and a Coca Cola Freestyle machine with over 100 different flavours to enjoy
- Oscar’s Bar serving a range of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, and freshly brewed coffee from the Costa Coffee station
- ODEON’s sub-brands including ODEON Kids, ODEON Silver Cinema and ODEON Event Cinema
About Dolby Laboratories
Dolby Laboratories (NYSE: DLB) is based in San Francisco with offices in over 20 countries around the globe. Dolby transforms the science of sight and sound into spectacular experiences. Through innovative research and engineering, we create breakthrough experiences for billions of people worldwide through a collaborative ecosystem spanning artists, businesses, and consumers. The experiences people have – in Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos, Dolby Cinema, Dolby Voice, and Dolby Audio – revolutionize entertainment and communications at the cinema, on the go, in the home, and at work.
Dolby, Dolby Atmos, Dolby Audio, Dolby Cinema, Dolby Vision, Dolby Voice, and the double-D symbol are among the registered and unregistered trademarks of Dolby Laboratories, Inc. in the United States and/or other countries. Other trademarks remain the property of their respective owners.
With more than 120 cinemas, over 950 screens and 87 years of cinema experience, ODEON is the largest cinema exhibitor across the UK & Ireland. ODEON prides itself in being the destination of choice for film lovers, with an ongoing commitment to investing in cutting edge technology and comfort which create the ultimate cinema experience – from luxury seats, to immersive IMAX and iSense screens with premium sight and sound, impeccable guest service and unique opportunities to watch screenings of 70mm prints at select sites. With more than 5,700 colleagues employed across the UK & Ireland, ODEON has once again been placed number 25 in the Sunday Times Best Big Companies to Work For 2018 and named a Best Large Workplace in Ireland 2018.
ODEON is part of ODEON Cinemas Group, Europe's largest cinema operator, which hosts over 115m guests each year in more than 360 cinemas across 13 European countries. In 2016, our Group was acquired by AMC Theatres, creating the largest movie exhibition company in the world with over 1,000 theatres and 11,000 screens globally. For more information, visit: http://www.ODEON.co.uk/about-us/
Visitors are officially welcomed to the ODEON LUXE Leeds Thorpe Park by Duncan Kerr, ODEON Luxe Project Manager, John Alls, General Manager at ODEON Luxe Leeds Thorpe Park, and Julian Stanford, Senior Director at Dolby Cinema Europe (from left to right).
Photo Credit: Mark Bickerdale.